Wednesday 8 February 2012

Sedimentation of the soul.

So it’s 1.46am with an extra “FUCKING WHAT TIME IS IT?” in there somewhere. I’m currently writing about sand. Yes, my geography degree is not just about colouring in and standing in rivers and climbing up hills, I also have to analyse sand. I have to spend hours in a lab looking at sand through a microscope, looking at the colour and shape of sand, and I have to describe in technical terms how round or pointy the sand is. This sand is white, it is very pointy. No, no, good heavens that will not do. I have to explain in several pages why the sand is pointy, how pointy is this sand compared to that sand, what sand is sand and sand the sand sand sand.

To survive the sandy pit of hell that is currently my degree – hell, I don’t even fucking like sand, I fucking hate beach holidays because I burn in the sun like a roast chicken in the oven and I’d rather go on a city break anyway so my melatonin-deficient decrepit body can rest in the cool air-conditioned realms of cool air-conditioned buildings instead of burning like yes, a roast chicken– I have started to drink tea. Today I alternated between Yorkshire tea, green tea and peppermint tea. I drank so much tea that my wee practically turned clear which never normally happens because I don’t drink enough. Every time I burp my mouth tastes of Polos and I’m slightly worried to go to bed in case my blood actually turns to peppermint tea and my body bursts and tomorrow morning my housemates find a deflated minty wreck of a corpse where my usual lively – well actually no, I’m practically comatose when I’m asleep anyway – but where my body would normally be happily sleeping and they’ll find me and look at each other and sigh.

And all of this. All of this minty death because I have to talk about sand. My actual mind is now set in a sandy desert – all of my thoughts are set out on camels running across the desert that is my mind. Desert as in full of sand, and also deserted, because all other rational thoughts think “SHIT THIS SAND IS BORING I’M OUTTA HERE” and do a runner but here I am, my physical body, at my laptop at 1.51am, talking about sand. 

1 comment:

  1. You need to go on a sedimental journey. Or supplement the tea with a sandwich. There's a grain of truth in all this.


    And to make you feel really tip-top it's 'gouge' not 'gauge' (though I ticked 'funny').

    ReplyDelete