Wednesday 14 September 2011

Top Man? I don't think so mate...

So last night and today there was an anger explosion on Twitter with regards to controversial t-shirt designs from Topman. The grey shirt suggests that women come in breeds, much like animals – also suggesting that a woman belongs to a man like a pet? – and the red, although vague, has strong hints of domestic abuse and rape.



I got angry when I saw this. Although a lot of people shared my disgust, there were also a lot of negative reactions (mainly from bone-headed Facebook users, but reactions nonetheless) along the lines of “stop being so tetchy”, “IT’S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!” or “calm down, it’s only a joke”.

After receiving what I can only imagine was a fuckload of complaints (mine included), Topman decided to withdraw the designs, offering this apology on their Facebook page.



Ah yes, I suppose joking about a girl getting raped on a t-shirt is just a bit of light-hearted humour, and it’s also okay to degrade a woman down to the status of being a dog because if you laugh at it, it’s not because you’re a misogynistic dickhead but because you have a first class sense of humour! 

Well, I apologise for being a prude, non-funny bore. I’m also a feminist which means I sit at home in front of my computer, complaining about everything under the sun whilst stroking my several feral cats, because no man will ever love me. And have I ever mentioned I’m a sex-depraved lesbian who never shaves her legs and hates men?

All bullshit of course. Feminism is the striving for the equality of both sexes, and if you think otherwise then I suggest you read up on it. I’ve seen as many men outraged about the Topman shirts as I have women, which says a lot. In short, if you’re male and you think these tops are acceptable, then you’re a massive dick. Or even worse, if you would actually consider wearing these shirts you have no place on this earth except in a cave, to act out your stone-age values whilst dragging your knuckles along the floor, in a quest to find a woman who will love you (you might be there for some time).

This whole thing reminds me of the kind of people who think it’s okay to mutter incredibly racist/sexist/any-other-ist comments and declare it as “BANTER!!!!”, or who use the “it’s only a joke, relax” excuse, twisting the situation on its head and making you seem like the bad person for being humourless. Someone telling you to stop overreacting and that you "didn't get the joke" makes you seem like an idiot and is a standard silencer. But I refuse to be silenced.

You see, it’s more than just a slogan on a t-shirt. It’s petty to get angry about a t-shirt, which is precisely why people are so angry. Because it’s NOT just about a slogan on a t-shirt!

By allowing small misogynistic jibes into society – be it a slogan on a t-shirt, a misleading sexist advertisement, a muttering of the “Shouldn’t you be in the kitchen?” remark on Facebook followed up with “huh huh I’m not sexist, you just didn’t get my sense of humour huh huh” – you are allowing sexism to seep into the cracks of society. You’re allowing for the creation of a baseline of sexism which gradually builds up a tolerance to sexist comments, and creates an attitude which is stridently misogynistic. Is it just me, or is that a bit fucking backwards?

In short, I refuse to stand for this. I have a right to be angry and if you're angry because it deprives you of a cheap laugh (as you are so void of a sense of humour you have to laugh at the oppression of others to get your kicks) then fuck you. I'm standing up for myself and I won’t apologise for it. 

.....and I don't have a shit fashion sense, either.

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing is that men who wear these tops usually have no problem getting women, because they're seen as bad boys :) "BANTER" is one of the shittiest phrases and excuses for being a cock I've seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete