Monday 29 August 2011

Girly Gadgets

Hello blog. I'm a tad annoyed tonight.

In the word's of Caitlin Moran: "HANG ON I'VE HAD SOME SEXISM AT ME! THAT WAS SOME SEXISM!"

I'm watching Stephen Fry's 100 Greatest Gadgets on Channel 4. I like Stephen Fry - in fact he's one of my favourite TV personalities. What angered me? Watching the programme, I found everything to be very male-orientated and "macho" in the words of Jon Snow. Not to mention that most of the people talking about the gadgets were indeed men, with a few women in the middle to talk about how great teas maids are because they save women the job of making so many darned cups of tea. Because that's all women do these days! Make tea!

In the middle of the countdown they lumped in a segment called, ahem, "Girl Gadgets". This name was implemented over a background of Katie Price, wearing pink, holding some pink straighteners. The gadgets involved in the "Girl Gadgets" segment were hair straighteners (pink), a pregnancy test, and swivel-tube lipstick. I suppose us silly women have to have our own section because as a woman I can't possibly also enjoy that satisfaction you get when you press the button on a tape measure and it snaps back, or appreciate the brilliance of a spirit level, because I haven't got a penis. I suppose I'm also not allowed to like Gameboys and cannot assemble a bike, because the whole having breasts thing doesn't allow for it. These "girl gadgets" weren't even included in the main gadget countdown, merely a side-note shoved into the space of two minutes, with poor Jo Brand explaining what hair straighteners are for and how pregnancy tests work. I suppose just to keep that minority of poor women who were forced to watch the programme with their husbands happy, because no woman could ever have an interest in gadgets of her own will. Gadgets are like, totally not for girls. For fucks sake, channel 4.

1. I know as many, if not more, men who use hair straighteners as opposed to women.

2. I like gadgets and can appreciate gadgets that aren't pink (shocking, I know!) and that have a function other than making my hair and face look all pretty (again, SHOCKING!)

3. I bet they don't include Rampant Rabbits (or any vibrators) on that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment