Monday 15 August 2011

London Riots 2011




"As we sweep away the mistakes made in the selfish, nocturnal darkness we must ensure that, amidst the broken glass and sadness, we don't sweep away the youth lost amongst the shards in the shadows cast by the new dawn."

I think Russell Brand got it right when he wrote his piece on the London riots following the devastation that unfolded last weekend. Anger in the hours and days after the riots has led to quick, ill-thought decision making from the highest authorities which are likely to, in the long run, exacerbate the situation. It's not just the government that's worrying me - it's a large section of the public too.


The main problem? Make knee-jerk decisions, and instead of calm rational solutions you get a climate for revenge and punishment. Justice against those who have committed crimes such as shoplifting and vandalism? Fair enough. But evicting rioters - and their families who may have played no part in the riots? I can't help but wonder what this is intended to achieve, other than a bit of Tory-style vengeance. To quote Brand again: "I remember David Cameron saying “hug a hoodie” but I haven’t seen him doing it, why would he? Hoodies don’t vote, they’ve realised it’s pointless, that whoever gets elected will just be a different shade of the “we don’t give a toss about you party." At first I questioned why someone would cause so much damage to the place in which they live, but the answer is simply that these kids feel so disconnected and alienated from their own community that they have no reason not to kick off. Turning to destructive violence on your own doorstep because you don't feel part of the community you live in is something I can barely get my head around, purely because I've never experienced it. It's both a dangerous and a very sad thing which needs addressing rationally, without pre-existing prejudice and snobbish reactionary punishments getting in the way of useful, proactive solutions to stop this kind of thing happening again.


Not that I am undermining the events which initially unfolded in London, but it probably hit home for me when the riots - although nowhere near the scale of those seen in London - moved to Liverpool and Manchester, as these are two places close to both my heart, and home. I was seeing places I knew and loved vandalised and set fire to and the emotional attachment I had for these locations meant I wanted to punish anyone who caused damage to them and maybe even get revenge, purely because I was angry and caught up in the moment.  But once the initial emotions blew over and I had a clearer head, I could take a rational approach to the riots - form my own proper opinion which I did not have immediately, and something which I think the government sacrificed in order to run out immediate (and hasty) solutions to keep the demanding public happy. To me it's like shouting something obscene at someone in the heat of an argument which you later regret and apologise for ever saying, apart from the government isn't apologising, probably because they can't see (or don't want to see) the real underlying problems here, and how they might be making things ten times worse.


Aside from watching the riot coverage on the news, I got a lot of my information (and other people's opinions) via Twitter, and some of the things people said really worried me. Watching Question Time, a man proposed that we just evict all of those guilty and stop their benefits. Many people have jumped on the bandwagon and agreed with this - not just the usual folk but people I really would not have expected, just showing that the riots have truly brought out the inner Daily Mail reader in many. One council has already started handing out eviction notices to one family whose son was involved in the riots. I tweeted a comment, voicing my despondency on the short-sighted way in which the authorities seemed to be going about things.



The thing which alarmed me is that the majority of those who re-tweeted actually did so because they agreed with what I'd said - the ridiculous idea that we simply ignore the problem, pretend the lowest classes aren't there and push them further away from any kind of connection with society. My ludicrous suggestion ridden with hyperbole was seen as a good idea by people. Are they being serious? Are these the same people who vote for the use of rubber bullets and for a police force in which every possible act of violence is met with more violence? The kind of easily influenced people who echo narrow-minded right wing ideals from those who say we should "just shoot them all", and who then argue with anyone who doesn't agree for "taking the side of the rioters" and "letting the country down"? The point is that to me, we are simply making a class which is already almost totally invisible even more so. We are, essentially, shoving them in a box and shielding them from public view, and why? Probably because addressing the problem of deprivation in such areas is a long-term solution which requires money, time and dedication, and I can't really imagine the government being too keen on that. Everyone wants to wash their hands of not just those involved in the riots, but everyone in those areas, and if the riots have shown us anything it's that you can't keep ignoring a problem forever.

It just really does seem that we have a government who merely focuses on trying to fix things in the aftermath of a disaster, instead of nipping the problem at the bud, long before it can develop into such. The kind of government who keeps "fixing" British society by putting a dab of glue here, a bit of tape there. Putting a plaster over the deep raging wound in our society so they, and we, can't see it. Ta-daa! All fixed!...although that's not quite how it works, is it?

The shooting in Tottenham was a mere spark to light a backlog of suppression and frustration held in the areas affected, and it doesn't seem that an awful lot of time has been spent trying to put two and two together. This is truly a forgotten class, described as the "ignored underclass" by many, and in the phrase that has echoed around a lot lately, maybe they did just have nothing to lose. This was not just about getting a new pair of Nikes and anyone who thinks that must be incredibly short-sighted. Yes, many rioters did loot shops, but the key point here is to look into why they looted shops - maybe because they wanted things they could never otherwise afford - and have never been given the opportunity to afford -- and maybe because they really do feel that they are "owed" things by the government. In no way do I think this gives a reason to loot and set fire to independent businesses or any business for that matter, let me reiterate this, but ultimately what else could they have done? It was already said by one of the rioters that they'd gone on a peaceful march to Scotland Yard and had been ignored, and so is it any wonder violence emerged? Maybe they rioted not because they thought they could get away with it, but because they had, and have, no opportunities or jobs to lose, and are stuck in the rut of society with no real way to get out. In a tragic way, maybe this was their time to really say "we are fed up and we are doing something about it". I do not advocate the ways in which they went about it, but how else would such an ignored part of society get proper media attention? Beyond the argument that it was just mindless violence and thugs jumping on a bandwagon, let's say that the government have finally been alerted to the fact that these people really are angry, and need to be heard.They have the opportunity now to address the closure of youth centres, the lack of opportunities for young people and the fact that one in two kids in Tottenham live below the poverty line.

If you evict people from their houses and cut benefits, alongside denying them the right to a roof over their head, surely you are also just creating a bigger opportunity for more riots and outbreaks of violence, along with crime. Not only could further alienation of this forgotten class lead to more vandalism, but if you further oppress a group of people, surely they are just going to get more angry and lose more faith in the government and other sections of society? It's well known that a Conservative government is always going to exclude the lower classes and favour the wealthy but there's only so long you can quarantine them off before things start to heat up. I've seen people argue that there are homeless people or families who would better benefit from the housing belonging to these rioters, but to say that a roof over your head is a privilege and not a right? That's a really unsettling thing to hear.

I suppose you would expect the perfect government to care for their citizens, rather than scornfully dismiss what was arguably an accident waiting to happen without bothering to take a step back and see the bigger picture. The burning down of innocent victims homes and family businesses is incredibly sad, but instead of sitting around and shouting at those who took to the streets, surely the government should be trying to find out why - and I mean properly trying to find out why they did, because it may well have had something to do with them. Many people view the youths involved in the riots as a lost cause but if you don't extinguish the flames of a fire properly then the fire will spread. What is making rioters homeless and cutting benefits going to do? Increase the numbers of girls becoming sex-workers to make a living? Increase hostility? Up crime rates? Most likely. What is the plan of action, to disown a whole group of people and dismiss them, and dismiss their children, and their grandchildren? You can treat the symptoms of a disease or you can try and cure the disease, or even prevent the disease from developing in the first place. Before these are properly addressed you are simply aggravating the major underlying social problems, or pushing them on to the next government. The UK does after all have one of the worst wealth-gaps in the developed world. You can call me naive for expecting such things from our government but there's only so long ignoring this will work for, and maybe the time to address it has finally come.

3 comments:

  1. (1 of 2) I'm going to blog myself on this when I get the chance, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

    I think you're spot on about the shooting in Tottenham not being the root of all this, but simply a catalyst for a much larger, systemic issue that'll be brushed under the political rug for as long as possible, and certainly not prevented by some of the 'solutions' we've seen so far (more on that in a bit).

    However, I genuinely think that a fair amount of what we saw simply WAS down to just being able to get a new pair of shoes or a big fat TV without paying for it, or setting fire to something and laughing about it later with mates. The same as that office worker most people know that steals pens just because they can, or the guy who leaves an item or two in the bottom of the shopping trolley when buying food at 'De Asda', or the kids that throw stones at people's windows. It isn't a sign of pent-up frustration, an impoverished upbringing, or being failed by the state. It's boredom, pushing their luck and getting a cheap adrenalin rush.

    I daresay some (and I'm shame-facedly - if that's a word - looking at my beloved Liverpool for this) even rioted just because they saw others getting away with it and wanted their five minutes of fame.

    I'm not saying everyone who took part was like that (or even a majority), but just that overanalysis might lead nowhere in a lot of cases. Especially important given that a lot of these people weren't misguided kids but adults. A great number of them were adults, actually. The cynic in me has trouble believing a load of people in Liverpool looted De Asda because of any other reason than to cause hassle for the police. I don't think I'm being naive about that either, just that they didn't really think of the consequences until afterwards since they were caught up in the moment. Not that I'm excusing it.

    Here's something for you. I read a blog from a 12 year old kid about the riots (http://beta.live-magazine.co.uk/2011/08/the-riots-by-a-12-year-old/) and its cause. On the face of it, a well thought-out article by someone with an adult head on their shoulders? Hmm. Something didn't sit well with me though. It was the use of "cold-blooded killing". This is a young lad who is already prejudiced against the police even though he's too young to consider the reality of the situation, which was that the police had to make a split-second decision against an armed criminal who could endanger both them and the public. In my opinion they made the right one. You illegally own a gun, you run the risk of getting legally shot. Maybe that's one for another time though. Interestingly, a friend of mine tried to speak to the author on Twitter about the article. The lad asked what his problem was, called him an idiot and blocked him. Haha.

    I dunno. I'm not sure what the answer is, because I'm not even fully sure what the problem is. Our education and support systems are full of wonderful, amazing folk trying to helping these people out every day, but you can only lead a horse to water. If he doesn't want to drink, you can't force him (even if you pay £30 a week EMA).

    ReplyDelete
  2. (2 of 2) It's clear that the government don't know what the problem is either, because they're making all the wrong calls. Allowing the PM and his cronies to remain on their jollies was their first mistake. Blaming an already-demoralised police force for not handling it correctly, when nobody knew what was going on and it all escalated so quickly, was their second. These ridiculous punishments are their third. Not that I disagree on the surface with those lads on Facebook getting a severe punishment - guaranteed that nobody will be using Facebook to coordinate riots from now on, although it just forces them to use less easily-visible methods - but I can't see how cutting off people's benefits or evicting them will do anything but cause genuine unrest. One of the most interesting things about the eviction of the families of the looters is that it's illegal according to the Geneva Convention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_punishment if you're interested - it's quite a decent read if you like history).

    I'm also not sure about the anti-Tory vibe here (and I'm a staunch opponent to Conservative rule). I definitely don't think they look to exclude the lower classes in favour of the wealthy at all (the tuition fee changes are favourable compared to the original Labour ones in my view, for example), I just think that they have different ways of achieving the goals they want.

    Finally, as I said at the start, I definitely think there's a big issue here for the folk in London. The 'why' is extremely important to the people of Tottenham. Elsewhere though...hmm.

    Sorry if this is disjointed Caf. Long day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No you're right - I agree with a lot of what you've said. I think I probably have been a bit muddled in some of the things I've written - the problem with the riots is that there is so many different things occurring in so many different places that it's quite hard to discuss it because like you said, the riots are set in different contexts depending on their location and who was involved. I was mainly talking about Tottenham and the other areas of London in this piece with regards to the "forgotten class" and most of the rioters being kids etc, but this is merely as an outsider. We both know I live nowhere near London and a lot of the stuff I wrote was just from what I'd read about the areas and people affected but I agree that in other areas - Liverpool and maybe even Manchester - it probably was a different type of rioter and people just doing it because they thought they could get away with it. (This is your last point).

    I agree with you about the police shooting - if someone has a gun they're a threat to not only the police but the public and although even maybe he didn't shoot at the police (I'm not too sure about this, did it work out both of the bullets were from police guns?) then simply carrying a gun means he wasn't totally innocent in the first place and therefore there was a reason for the police to act. Maybe not the right decision, but I agree that you have to react there and then, it can often lead to wrong decisions but the way the police reacted to a split second incident is different to the way the government can react to the riots, because they at least have a slightly longer window to actually think before they act?

    I guess I am prejudiced against the Tory government but what I meant by ignoring the lower classes is just in basic terms - in an economic sense the right-wing ideal is to let people do their own thing and have less state intervention i.e. less welfare, benefits etc. Surely this is always going to inconvenience the poorer classes and benefit the wealthy? Obviously the government isn't totally ignoring the lower classes because we're nowhere near as right-wing as the US for example but I think in any government it's easy to forget about the lowest classes. To me it's just more obvious in a Tory government because we've seen most of the cuts hit the counties with the lowest income anyway - not sure if this is just a coincidence or intentional - such as Merseyside and North London and seeing really low amounts of cuts in the wealthiest boroughs. I guess this is a different topic altogether...

    I suppose it's hard to make the right decisions in a situation where there was so much going on in such a short space of time. I agree that criticising the police force when they probably did the best they could with the resources and orders they'd been given hasn't helped and I think sometimes we get so caught up trying to blame people that we let it prevent us from looking to the future?

    I guess the thing that just made me write this is the government going overboard with reactionary punishments - I'm not saying rioters shouldn't be punished because at the end of the actual crimes were committed here and you need harsh punishments to act as a deterrant. But 4 years in prison for inciting riots on Facebook? I've heard of people say how someone has had a jail sentence of 3 years for accidentally killing someone in a car crash, or some people getting say 16 months for assault. I just think it's all very extreme and I'm not sure if it's just because it's early days but they're not addressing the main problems at all, it just seems a bit like we're spiralling into a zero tolerance state with madly disproportionate punishments.

    ReplyDelete